Saturday, August 6, 2011

Keeping an Unschooling Portfolio with Evernote and EasyBib



After I sang the praises of Evernote as a tool for documenting the learning that goes on around here on a few home/unschool lists recently, I received quite a few emails asking how we use the application, and how to set it up as a portfolio for un/homeschooling.


Following are two tutorials I made that explain how to set up Evernote as a portfolio, and copy/paste information and how to use EasyBib as a dated reading/media log.


If you click on the subjects under "Bibliography" on the right-hand side of the blog, it will take you to my EasyBib notebooks and you'll be able to see what our log looks like.


Click here to see what one of our Evernote notebooks look like.


Wishing everyone fun and easy documenting!


Evernote as an Unschooling (homeschooling) Portfolio



EasyBib for generating a reading/media log
The one thing I failed to mention in the video tutorial I made, which I'll link to in a minute, is you can choose how to organize the entries. I suggest using the "add annotation" option at the bottom of the citation entry page to add the dates you used the source and any other pertinent notes, but I also suggest that when you print the document for your portfolio, you go to the "Sort Order" option (it is under the "Print as a Word Doc" button) and choose"Most Recent." That way, your list will be ordered by the date it was entered and not alphabetically. Of course, this will only work if you add entries as you go, instead of all at once at year's end.





5 comments:

  1. Thanks Brie,

    This is great. I'm starting to feel less anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Less anxiety is GOOD! I'm glad it helped, April!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to see the videos but youtube notify me that they are private :/
    how I see them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wouldn't an interface between Evernote and Easybib be excellent? I see my students using Evernote as a tool to support research (highlighting and annotating texts from the web, etc) with option to auto-generate citations and build their reference list in Easybib. Do you have any solutions that may work here?

    ReplyDelete